Each character receives a number of points to spend on increasing his basic attributes. In this method, all attributes start at a base of 10. A character can increase an individual score by spending some of his points. Likewise, he can gain more points to spend on other scores by decreasing one or more of his ability scores. No score can be reduced below 7 or raised above 18 using this method. See Table 1–1 on the next page for the costs of each score. After all the points are spent, apply any racial modifiers the character might have.
The number of points you have to spend using the purchase method depends on the type of campaign you are playing. The standard value for a character is 15 points. Average nonplayer characters (NPCs) are typically built using as few as 3 points. See Table 1–2 on the next page for a number of possible point values depending on the style of campaign. The purchase method emphasizes player choice and creates equally balanced characters.
As this would be considered an “Epic Fantasy” campaign, you will have 25 points with which to select your starting scores.
So, as an example, a character could have (not including racial modifiers):
STR: 17 (13 points)
DEX: 13 (3 points)
CON: 14 (5 points)
INT: 12 (2 points)
WIS: 13 (3 points)
CHA: 9 (-1 points)
Two custom races I created thus far are listed below, for those who would like/need to use them. Other custom races can be created as-needed, with prior discussion and permission.
METAHUMAN RACIAL TRAITS: 17 RP
- Aberration (3)
- Darkvision 60’
- Medium Size, Speed 30’ (0)
- Flexible (2), +2 to any 2 ability scores
- Healthy (2) +4 Fort vs diseases and poisons, including magical
- Standard (0), Common. Bonus: Any
- Improved Natural Armor: +2 to AC (4)
- Flight 40’ (Average) (6)
CYBORG RACIAL TRAITS: 14 RP
- Humanoid (Human, Construct)
- +2 to One Ability Score: Cyborg characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their individual programming.
- Medium: Cyborgs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Bonus Feat: Cyborgs select one extra feat at 1st level.
- Languages: Cyborgs begin play speaking Common and one additional language. Cyborgs with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Cyborgs gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and effects that cause either exhaustion or fatigue.
- Cyborgs cannot be raised or resurrected.
- Cyborgs do not breathe, eat, or sleep, unless they want to gain some beneficial effect from one of these activities. This means that a Cyborg can drink potions to benefit from their effects and can sleep in order to regain spells, but neither of these activities is required for the construct to survive or stay in good health.
- Metal Vulnerability: Cyborgs are considered metal when targeted by such spells and effects as heat metal or repel metal. They also suffer a -2 penalty to any appropriate saving throw to resist such spells or effects.
Every character is granted one “Freebie” at creation. This generally takes the form of either A) an extra or customized racial or magical/psionic ability or B) A magical, psionic or other piece of equipment too expensive to purchase at character creation.
The Freebie should be appropriate to the character, and should be discussed and approved prior to applying it to the character.